Contextual effectiveness is one of our six core values. Hats off to Evan Oxner (Amherst) for coordinating an all-day affinity group promoted as “CE-150” on Wednesday including 10 Lead Pastors of churches with an average attendance last year of 50-150. Three pastors connected by Zoom and the others were present at the Edgett Boardroom in Moncton. Andrew Maves (Digby) was a guest presenter sharing key components of effectiveness in their context over the past 15 years with a growing church in a shrinking community. This day resulted from the initiative of Ken Banks (Connection) to lead a similar event in January.
Another highlight of the day included an excellent presentation on Renegotiating Faith research from Rick Hiemstra of the Evangelical Fellowship of Canada. Local churches are encouraged to consider Affiliate Membership with the EFC and can do so by submitting this application as directed.
One of the core contributions of the EFC’s recent research is the incredible impact on the life of young adults going away to college when the local church takes initiative to help them make connections with campus groups and nearby churches. The chances of them connecting and thus staying connected with their own faith journey as emerging adults increases from 1/6 to 2/3 – incredible! Here is a reminder of our great University Town churches to connect your students with in addition to a campus ministry (stronger together).
– Fredericton: Corbett Avenue, Crosspoint, Journey
– Halifax: Cornerstone, Deep Water, Hillside, Kings, Metro
– Moncton: Moncton
– Presque Isle: Presque Isle
– Sackville: Amherst
– Saint John: Kings, Saint John First
– St. John’s: Solid Rock
– Sussex: Sussex
- A good question often asked since the summer launch of our Exploration Essentials is, “Now what?” November 14-16 our DBA will be conducting a 48-hour retreat to explore the milestones and mountain tops which reflect the fulfillment of our shared mission through these values. This will begin a winter-long process of discerning the strategies and measures we need to inspire for the next season of Kingdom impact through the Atlantic District. As I shared in my DS Report this summer, the Vision Frame roadmap comes from the very helpful Kingdom contribution of Will Mancini.
- All pastors are invited to participate in one of two identical Exploration Essentials Zoom Workshops on Wednesday @ 9:30 a.m. on either October 17th or October 24th. Just email Karrilee to register and you will receive the Zoom link for your day. The results of this October dialog will inform the DBA retreat in November. This is optional but your input is most welcome!
- It was inspiring to tag-team with AJ Thomas (Deep Water) on Saturday morning for their Leadership Lab. This monthly, two-hour investment in staff, board members, ministry directors, key volunteers, and emerging influencers is an excellent strategy for raising leaders.
- West Head (Vince Robertson) celebrated the sacrament of baptism yesterday following a Saturday Family Fun Day with 100 in attendance and a “friendly” softball game against Woods Harbour (Jason Parker). Jason will be happy to update you on the winner; however, the Woods Harbour team did include Vince!
- More baptisms were celebrated yesterday at Amherst (5), Kings (33), and at Deep Water (13) PTL! Check out this incredible Facebook post from AJ Thomas highlighting this Kingdom win.
- The spirit of worship and optimism for the future was high yesterday morning during the Pastoral Installation of Karen Purdy (Westchester). This rural church family of about 30 gather in a small community and are making a significant difference as a healthy and transforming Gospel presence.
- Moncton (Joel Gorveatte) launched fall ministries with a September series on the value of spiritual community and discipleship through small group ministry. This has resulted in 450 people registered for 40 small groups beginning this month! This is in addition to the 90 already committed to attending classes such as Alpha and Pryme (youth) small groups. Amazing to see more than 1/2 of the adult average attenders committed to this level of growth in community!
- National Superintendent Steve Elliot convened a follow-up Zoom meeting this week with representatives of both districts as we continue to seek wisdom in preparing our local churches to address many of the unique challenges of our day in the face of declining religious freedoms. As this dialog progresses you will be receiving helpful resources to invest in the contextual effectiveness of your leadership.
- Many of you have already emailed Karrilee to register for the Zoominar THIS Thursday with Derek Ross (President of the Christian Legal Fellowship of Canada). See details below and don’t miss out on the opportunity to glean high-level insights that will serve your leadership in the face of our changing Canadian context. Take note below of the free book you will receive as a thank you for participation.
- Kings (Brent Ingersoll) packed out the Imperial Theatre in Saint John last night for a powerful night of war-waging worship. This evening was the bookend of celebration for the conclusion of their annual Love Week which resulted in more than 4000 volunteer hours of ministry and over $181,000 in donations in the Name of Jesus to a long list of organizations – unprecedented for God’s glory! This was also the first “regular” weekend with combined total of campus ministry (East, Halifax, & West) that exceeded 500 in attendance (not including the original Valley Camus).
- Believability Tour (BLI – Kingswood University) is only 5 weeks away (Nov 1 – Yarmouth, Nov 2 – Halifax). The price is right. The passion is high. Your people will soar. Who should come? Local church influencers. No one should come alone. Think board members, senior leadership, high capacity lay leaders, staff, and next generation leaders you want to develop. The uniqueness of this event is that it is very affordable and designed for lay people/volunteers to come to an inspiring and practical training day. The effectiveness within each church will be based on the number of people that accompany their Pastor so that they together strive to break barriers. This Believability Spotlight from Keynote Speaker AJ Thomas can be shown as an excellent recruitment tool with your leaders. More details below including downloadable promo posters for the day you plan to attend.
- An exciting week with World Hope International (Canada) and Dr. Jo Anne Lyon (Ambassador and GS Emerita of The Wesleyan Church) is ahead for the Atlantic District on October 21-28 (see details below in Upcoming Events).
Reminder: Please complete the Notre Dame Clergy Wellbeing Assessment by tomorrow on Tuesday, October 2nd – 100% participation will give our denominational leaders the greatest insight into best practices for helping pastors to thrive.
Congratulations to Ryan & Marleigh (Lee) Genereaux (Maple Ridge) on their wedding this Saturday at the Saunders-Irving Chapel!
Our thoughts and prayers are with Rev. Stephen Bradley (Browns Flat Fellowship) and his family on the passing of his mother, Iva, this week. The celebration of her life will occur today at the Kennebecasis Community Funeral Home at 2:00 p.m.
Thot: It’s not about what we know – it’s about being known. Use your passions to connect with your community. We had more than 22,000 bikers at the Wharf Rat Rally this year which the church helped start 14 years ago. There’s beauty on the mountain top if we just keep going. Galatians 6:9 (Andrew Maves)
On Second Thot: You can have passion without being a great leader, but you can’t be a great leader without passion. (AJ Thomas)
A Christian Leadership Response to the Shifting
Landscape of Canadian Religious Freedoms
What: High order Christian-based legal insights and recommendations for the shifting landscape of Canadian religious freedoms
When: October 4 @ 10:30 a.m. Atlantic Time
Who: Derek Ross, Executive Director & General Counsel for Christian Legal Fellowship
How: Pastors and lay leaders may register by email with the Atlantic District (email@example.com) All AD credentialed pastors who register AND attend the Zoominar will receive a complimentary copy of the June 2018 publication, Hope for Nations: Standing Strong in a Post-Trust, Post Christian World (John Dickerson).
“Times of great social upheaval are times of great spiritual opportunity,” writes Dickerson. “You can live the adventure of this era with great purpose. You can know with confidence that the Creator of the universe appointed you to bring light and life to this moment in human history.”
Check out this recent radio interview with Derek Ross and Barry Bussey (Director for Legal Affairs of the Canadian Council of Christian Charities since 2011) on The Drew Marshall Show (begins at 1:40 in the MP3 file) for a sneak peek on some of the insights you will learn in this Oct 4th Zoominar.
Join hundreds of women at from all over the east coast as we come together to worship God and have fun! Our goal is to create an atmosphere where every woman at Harvest will experience an encounter with God that will impact their life and the people in it.
Join us this fall at Kings Church, October 19 & 20, with special guest speakers Annie F. Downs and Heather Semple. For more information, or to register visit www.harvestconference.ca or call 506-847-5343.
Dr. Jo Anne Lyon visits the Atlantic District!
World Hope International (Canada) and Dr. Jo Anne Lyon are excited to tour around the Maritimes October 21-28! Dr. Jo Anne Lyon, General Superintendent Emerita of The Wesleyan Church will be speaking at the following events/churches and all are welcome to join:
Oct 21: Moncton Wesleyan Church, 10:30am (Speaking on Women in Leadership)
Oct 23: Kingswood University Chapel, 9:30am
Oct 24: Kingswood University PULSE, 9:30am. This is an educational event for students but local pastors and church staff are welcome to sit in! Please RSVP to ColeRooney@WorldHope.org to ensure seating. Dr. Lyon will be speaking on Kingdom Leadership: Jesus and Paul both practice a Leadership model that embodies men and women working together in equality. This is the full reflection of God and the Kingdom. Principles, attitudes and historical perspective will be explored all through the lens of Scripture
Oct 27 (morning): South Shore Ministerial, Yarmouth Wesleyan Church. This event is for pastors and missions teams. More information to follow soon!
Oct 28: Yarmouth Wesleyan Church, 9:30am & 11am
YARMOUTH WESLEYAN CHURCH
Thursday, November 1st, 9:30-4:30
Keynote Speakers Including : AJ Thomas, Kevin Vincent, Brent Ingersoll, Mike Miller & L.D. Buckingham
THE ROCK CHURCH HALIFAX
Friday, November 2nd, 9:30-4:30
Keynote Speakers: Jerry Reddy, James Mallon, AJ Thomas, Kevin Vincent & L.D. Buckingham
For more information and to register please visit the BLI website.
November 9 – Moncton
November 10 – Halifax
WHAT IS BASE CAMP?
The Ascent Base Camp is a one-day immersion in the vision, values, tools and training that are required for the church planting venture. You will learn from seasoned church planters and get input from church planting strategists who will help you discern if this “climb” is one you should attempt.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
• Senior leaders who bring along younger leaders they are working with.
• Young leaders who may not yet know how God has gifted and called them.
• Anyone who is curious about the calling and challenges of church planting.
• Students who are discerning God’s call for future ministry.
• Those considering a call to ministry, regardless of the specific field, or path.
WHY ATTEND A BASE CAMP?
Like climbing a mountain peak, church planting requires much preparation and skill. The vistas from the peak are not reached without strict training, Spirit-dependency, and much prayer. Many hazards line the path up the mountain. As you consider the call God may be placing on your life – and specifically the potential of planting a church – wisdom would advise that you gain insight from those who have gone before.
Base Camp is just one step along the journey, but as you consider God’s call, it may be that Base Camp will clarify and strengthen your call and your resolve.
• Early Bird Rate – $20 per person
• One Week Prior – $25 per person
For more information and to register: www.ascentbasecamp.com
January 9-12, 2019
Orlando, Florida at The Caribe Royale
More than a minister’s conference. The Gathering is a reunion of ministry family and friends. A sabbath for our souls. Coming together to stop, rest, pray, play and thrive. A chance to celebrate what God is doing in our lives and ministry through meals, stories, inspiration and worship. We know this will be a gathering you won’t want to miss!