The 2016 General Conference concluded on Wednesday of last week. The picture above includes nearly everyone from our district that was present – delegates, exhibiters, tellers, spouses and guests. There were many highlights in the conference headlined by the election of Dr. Wayne Schmidt as our new General Superintendent.
Many Memorials (resolutions) were processed including a package related to membership; a revised statement on marriage and divorce; a statement on the doctrine of sin to mention only a few. A number of these will be presented to the several District Conferences this summer for discussion and voting as a part of the ratification process.
I was reelected to the General Board and our own Kelly Jay, a first-time delegate, came within two votes of being elected as a lay member of the board – incredible! We had a top-notch group of delegates from our district with one of the youngest average ages in the conference and more women as delegates than ever before.
The General Conference approved Established National Conference status for The Wesleyan Church of Canada (TWCC). This has been in process for some time and was discussed at both Canadian District Conferences in the last couple of years.
The picture above shows the conference floor and if you look carefully you will notice a bottle of maple syrup at every delegate’s place. This was a thank you gift from TWCC to the delegates following their affirming vote. The attached tag said Thanks EH! The maple syrup was the “contraband” shown in the picture with Peter and Mallory in last week’s IMA.
Dr. Lyon appointed me as the initial National Superintendent of TWCC for a two-year term after which a Canadian National Conference will elect the next NS. more info to follow at district conference.
- Pastor Andy Phillips at Jonesport baptized four last Sunday.
- Three were baptized yesterday morning at Moncton.
- Pastor Nick Graham is home from the hospital and back on the Ridge – PTL.
- Troy McKnight will be candidating at Fredericton Corbett this coming weekend.
- Digby and Pastor Andrew Maves welcomed the Syrian family they are sponsoring last week. The El-Ezzo family (father Fayez, mother Thonaya and boys Mohamed and Amir. The pic below is of Mohamed crashing after a day of flights and immigration processing.
THOT: “If you want to fly, you have to give up the stuff that weighs you down.” – Lennett Anderson
ON SECOND THOT: “Timing, perseverance and ten years of trying will eventually make you look like an overnight success.” Biz Stone, co-founder of Twitter