Last week saw our DBMD South group meeting at Cornerstone Wesleyan in Hammonds Plains for interviews as well as the DBMD Exec Com holding two ordination interviews in Truro. It is always a highlight of the year to spend time with these “prophets in process.” Our DBMD Central and North groups will be meeting over the next few weeks as interviews continue.
As a value added item, Thursday was given to a DBMD training day sponsored and staffed by our HQ and held at Kingswood. There were 13 members of our DBMD present along with several faculty members from Kingswood and a DBMD member from Eastern New York New England District.
- Our sympathy is expressed to Pastor Tim Long from Tiddville in the passing of his father last week.
- Dan Young, Worship Pastor at Saint John First – sj1 – resigned yesterday.
- Glen McVicar received and accepted a unanimous 4 year recall at Havelock, NB yesterday – congrats!
- Gloria and I were at our Moncton church yesterday morning and heard an excellent on-point sermon on finances and stewardship from Rev. Pete Benson.
- The stewardship focus Celebration Sunday was held at Fredericton Journey last weekend. Pastor Matt Maxwell says, “ What an amazing weekend we just had at Journey!! The place was a buzz of electricity. The excitement was contagious!! There were many new people here, and lots of fellowship was happening. I would like thank you for the strong response to the Step Up challenge. To date, you have collectively committed to about a 15% increase over last year’s giving. This is such a praise!!”
- Ben Medel received and accepted a 4 year recall at Bristol-Florenceville Trinity yesterday.
- Maple Ridge has placed Nick Graham on a concluding sabbatical with full salary and benefit support until Beulah time. Our prayers and support for Nick and family are deep and sincere as he awaits a call from the VG in Halifax for his third liver transplant.
- Your DBA met last Wednesday in the district office. It has been a great honour for me across these years to be in the harness with the various DBA members who served so well and whose Kingdom vision in clear and compelling.
Peter was at our church in Jonesport yesterday and sent along the following comments: “The Miles of Pennies is raising $ for audio Bibles in Mozambique. Already have nearly $2500 raised and a donor will match whatever their total is by April 30th. A very healthy energetic multigenerational church.”
Limited seating is still available for the Buckingham Leadership Banquet, Thursday, March 30 at 6:30 PM. There is no cost, Carey Nieuwhof will be the keynote speaker and there will be inspiring testimonials of how churches and pastors have been helped by BLI.
Contact Debbie Benson 506-432-4411. The banquet will be held in Wesley Hall, Kingswood University, 20 Wesley Dr. Sussex New Brunswick.
The semi-annual meeting of the Kingswood Board of Trustees was held in Sussex last week. We were pleased to have our General Superintendent present for the meeting – his first visit to the campus since becoming our leader. Dr Lennox is completing two years as President and we are thankful for his leadership and for progress at the university.
Upon This Rock Vision Prorogued
In the spring of 2014, the DBA approved a district partnership with Solid Rock Wesleyan (Mount Pearl, NL) identified as the Upon This Rock (UTR) initiative. The ultimate goal was to see three satellite congregations birthed over five years on the Avalon Peninsula. In the fall of 2015 we welcomed Rev. Ryan & Gabrielle Tarrow to join this vision on The Rock. It is with deep regret that the Tarrows, Solid Rock LBA, and the Atlantic District have concluded it is necessary to put this vision on hold. The best efforts of all involved have been commendable, and a special word of appreciation is in order for Rev. Stuart Marples and the Tarrows. However, the viability of this initial core of satellite members for Prodigal Church has remained unstable and the estimated timeline for fiscal strength would require the Tarrows to employ a bi-vocational strategy which they were willing to embrace. Unfortunately, the increasing complexity of immigration for US Citizens and the unknown cost and timeline for the Tarrows to attain permanent residency in Canada to allow for secondary employment has exhausted the reasonable expectation to continue this vision in the immediate future. We wish the Tarrows well as they will relocate back to the States before summer and express sincere thanks to the Solid Rock Wesleyan family for this courageous and sacrificial Kingdom endeavour. Thank you to the many district churches and individuals who were willing to invest in UTR.
Rev. Peter T. Moore
Assistant District Superintendent
THOT: “True submission has no strings attached.” – Brent Ingersoll
ON SECOND THOT: “Innovation is always a disruption, so if you want to change the world, be prepared to upset it first.” – Mark Brewer
BONUS THOT: “It is possible to move a mountain by carrying away small stones.” – Chinese proverb
Kingswood’s Master of Arts in Pastoral Theology’s Upcoming Course Announcement:
Speaker: Dr. Bob Whitesel (D. Min., Ph.D.)
Course: “Missional Pastor: Evangelism and Discipleship”
Where: Kingswood Campus
When: May 1-5, 2017
Who can attend: MAPT students and anyone can take up to two MAPT courses for credit or audit without enrolling in the MAPT program
Want to know further details? Contact Dr. Ken Gavel at email@example.com.
Pastors! Send your Children Ministry team to The Huddle, a children ministry leaders training event. It’s a one-day, affordable event for your entire children’s ministry team. Sunday school teachers, nursery workers, VBS helpers, children church leaders and volunteers experience the excitement and energy of discovering practical, new ideas they can use NOW from a team of passionate and dedicated leaders.
Get ready for a time of growth, renewal, and fun! Join us at a location near you.
Discover practical ideas and connect with other leaders!
NB Huddle – April 1 – 1–4 pm – $10/person
Journey Wesleyan Church – Fredericton NB
NS Huddle – May 13 – 9 am – 12:30 pm – $10/person
Yarmouth Wesleyan Church – Yarmouth NS
To register contact Linda Lamos at: firstname.lastname@example.org