The true spirit of the resurrection is evident in the crowd of fearless Egyptian Coptic Christians pictured above who came to celebrate the risen Christ on Easter Sunday just one week after two of their churches were bombed resulting in the death of circa 50 people. “ISIS has declared war on Christianity,” Father John Boutros says. “So Christians are saying, ‘We still believe. Nothing is going to scare us away. Nothing.’” Powerful. Inspiring. Courageous. Convicting.
“Christianity has died many times and risen again, for it has a God who knows his way out of the grave.” – G K Chesterton
He is risen! He is risen indeed!!
- Congratulations to Jerry and Karly Wurnig on the safe arrival of their daughter Samantha Ryan who was born in Halifax last week. Jerry, an ordained minister in our tribe was formerly a staff pastor at Deep Water, currently serves as interim pastor at Faith Community Church.
- John Symonds has accepted an invitation from the church at West Head to serve a one-year term as their Interim Pastor.
- Mel Norton has resigned his part-time staff position at Houlton Wesleyan which will bring his active ministry in our tribe to a conclusion after 47 years of faithful service. Well done! Mel will continue in an expanded role with the Canadian Bible Society.
- Ryan Genereaux has accepted the invitation from the Maple Ridge church to serve as their Family Life Pastor – welcome Ryan to our tribe. Ryan is a recent Kingswood student.
- Ben Medel resigned yesterday as pastor at Trinity Wesleyan in Bristol-Florenceville.
- Aaron Birtch will candidate at Halifax Metro on April 30th.
- Gloria and I were at Moncton yesterday morning as a great crowd gathered to celebrate the Resurrection. On Saturday, the church held their annual Easter Bunny Blast with a record crowd reported.
- Barb Halverson has accepted a two-day-a-week counselling position at Presque Isle with a focus on women and children.
- Ron and Karen Purdy are concluding their service at Miramichi.
- Karen Robertson has accepted the newly-created position of Assistant Pastor at Head of Millstream.
- There were great services and celebrations reported from across the district over the weekend – Christ was proclaimed, lives were transformed – much was made of Jesus! He is risen indeed!
- A few early Easter attendance numbers – Maple Ridge – 206 (LYA 142); Halifax Deep Water – 425 (LYA 256); Presque Isle 1071 – (LYA 639); Kings Church – 1863 (LYA 1226).
- I will be out of the office this week to attend a 3-day meeting of all our DS’s in New York City – which will be my last time to attend this annual event – followed by the World Hope Canada board meeting at Beulah on Thursday and Friday. Peter will be on district all week.
Your District Board of Administration (DBA) has recently filled a vacancy on the board due to an opening in the District Treasurer position. By unanimous action, Denn Guptill, who has been serving on the DBA as a ministerial member-at-large from NS/PEI/NF & L has been elected District Treasurer. Sharon Guptill has been elected to fill the remaining two years of Denn’s unexpired term as a ministerial member-at-large. Sharon is the first ordained woman to ever serve on the DBA and will bring her own creative insight and energy to the board. Welcome Sharon.
Thanks to Andrew Maves for sending along this intriguing article – check it out:
THOT: “There are lots of religions in which people die for their gods. There is only one in which a God dies for his people.” – Dennis Kinlaw
ON SECOND THOT: “Holy Saturday. The best reminder that the silence of God does not mean the absence of God.” – Sammy Rhodes
BONUS THOT: “A king who dies on a cross must be the king of a rather strange kingdom indeed. “ – Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Pastors! Send your Children Ministry team to The Huddle, a children ministry leaders training event. It’s a one-day, affordable event for your entire children’s ministry team. Sunday school teachers, nursery workers, VBS helpers, children church leaders and volunteers experience the excitement and energy of discovering practical, new ideas they can use NOW from a team of passionate and dedicated leaders.
Get ready for a time of growth, renewal, and fun! Join us at a location near you.
Discover practical ideas and connect with other leaders!
NS Huddle – May 13 – 9 am – 12:30 pm – $10/person
Yarmouth Wesleyan Church – Yarmouth NS
To register contact Linda Lamos at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Saturate Halifax: June 23 & 24
Saturate is a 2-day training event specifically designed to help equip Christians on how to apply the Gospel in everyday life. This content will help us to better think and live as missionaries in the everyday.