Nearly 25 gathered for the second annual 48-hour “Retreat to Advance” at Beulah Camp this past week. Coaching by David Zigler (Coastal) on developing a personal “Rule of Life” was one of the key highlights. David Higle (Education & Clergy Development) & Laura Zigler offered one-on-one spiritual direction sessions as well as providing leadership to sessions addressing the theme of the retreat. In the on-going ministry tension of “being” vs. “doing” this time for instruction and active reflection provided practical soul care and recalibration for our district undershepherds.
- This past weekend 250 women gathered at Crosspoint Church for their annual women’s conference, Uprising. They were blessed to hear three messages from a very anointed Andrea Lucado, inspired by Isaiah 6: “Your Year of Jubilee,” “Fruit in Its Season” & “A Mighty Throng.” Women have a story and a voice that must be shared, that when learned to see/hear from the perspective of our kind, loving God women become confident to use their voice to inspire and bless those around them. What a weekend! All women are invited to consider registering for Uprising 2019.
- Lower Brighton (Jacob Ebbett) celebrated three baptisms during this Sunday’s service – PTL!
- West Head (John Symonds) extended a near unanimous pastoral vote yesterday for Vince Robertson. Vince & Karen (Head of Millstream) have accepted this call to Clark’s Harbour on Cape Sable Island which will begin at the time of usual pastoral transition.
- It was encouraging to meet with the Crosspoint LBA this past Tuesday resulting in a unanimous renewal of Mark Brewer’s extended call.
- Dr. Atef Sidhom Khalaf was re-elected on Saturday for his 3rd four-year term as National Superintendent of the Wesleyan Standard Church of Egypt. There is still room for those who may be interested in joining the team I am leading to Egypt on May 22-31.
- I enjoyed worshipping yesterday for the first time at Kings West (Robin Ellingwood). Campus Pastor Robin and his team are providing excellent leadership with this new Kingdom expression of the transforming power of Christ launched in October!
- Kevin Myers (Brazil Lake) gives this FULL UPDATE (worth the read) on an exciting development this week. As his church family continues to complete the Maximizing Impact recommendations, he had a surprise visit on Wednesday as AJ Plaizier hand delivered a $5,000 gift from Yarmouth towards these important facility upgrades.
Congratulations to Alex Decker (Yarmouth Youth Pastor) and his wife Tawnya on the birth of their son Wyatt Alexander Decker. He was born February 22, 2018 weighing in at 7 lbs. 14 oz. – welcome to a great church family Wyatt!
Billy Graham Thot: The world doesn’t need more empire builders, we need more Kingdom seekers like my brother-in-law. (Leighton Ford)
On Second Thot: Great strategy is a wonderful companion to a great prayer life. (Carey Nieuwhof)
Bonus Thot: Never confuse a method with the message, or tradition with orthodoxy. In other words, don’t protect a program as if you are protecting the Gospel. The message is timeless, but our methods must be ruthlessly evaluated in light of their effectiveness at fulfilling our mission. (James Emery White)
Anti-Human Trafficking Event @ Kingswood University
Pastors & Lay Leaders are invited to join Open Door Centre to end modern slavery in Atlantic Canada. Youth as young as 11 and 12 are forced or manipulated into the sex trade right here at home. Join the Kingswood University student’s Pulse Day to learn from Open Door Centre, a Christian faith-based team from Halifax, working to end local slavery – i.e., sex trafficking. Through the Helping Exploited Youth (H.E.Y.) program, Open Door Centre is standing in the gap against sex trafficking and sexual exploitation.
Kingswood is opening the student’s Pulse Day to pastors and lay leaders in the District interested in opposing human trafficking. Join the students at Kingswood University’s Wesley Hall on Wednesday, April 4, 2018 from 9:30-11:30AM in Sussex, NB. Come learn about local trafficking and how you can engage your church “to bring justice”. Pastors are invited to take part in the special breakout session which will equip pastors in how to mobilize their congregations to oppose trafficking. Please RSVP by letting us know if you are a pastor or lay leader by March 16 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Lunch can be purchased from the Kingswood Cafeteria following the sessions.
We are so honoured to partner with The Wesleyan Church to oppose modern slavery. It was a privilege to speak at Beulah Family Camp last summer, this Spring at Kingswood, and we look forward to co-hosting events with your wonderful community in the future. We hope to see you at KU in April!
Pastor’s reserve your leaders a spot at the NEXT CONFERENCE for 50% off on April 14. This is a full day conference, including lunch, for all Children’s Ministry Volunteers and Leaders. The first 100 Registrations from Wesleyan Churches get 50% off the conference fee! Contact Linda.email@example.com. for the DISCOUNT CODE and get your leaders registered soon.