We are not victims of circumstance, but we are stewards of our response. It may be Monday again, but it is certainly not business as usual – for nearly everyone, everywhere – in nearly every way. Our thoughts and prayers are extended for all those affected by the loss of life and the deep disruptions which have been invoked to combat the spread of COVID-19. On Thursday morning, a district memo was sent to all Lead Pastors including the following excerpt:
“Finding a balance between the tension of wise-owl vs chicken-little thinking is often more art than science… As first-chair leaders, we have little choice but to provide a measured, informed, and ideally proactive response to serve what is best for each of our church families. I am grateful for and have high confidence in your capacity to determine what needs to be communicated and/or implemented in your local situation.”
As reports have trickled in from around the Atlantic District, most of our larger congregations elected to only offer online worship this weekend. Many of our church families held regular services with enhanced safety precautions. I am proud of our pastors and board members who have exercised due diligence and additional hours of service during these unusual days. Thank you for leading well as faithful and effective stewards in your response.
- Luke (Breanne) Anderson (The Lighthouse) will be candidating as Lead Pastor of Connection on March 29th.
- Joel (Kia) Bridges received a unanimous vote yesterday to continue as Lead Pastor of Trinity with a 92% vote in favour of an Extended Call.
- Tony (Teena) Stevens will be concluding ministry at Easton on March 22nd and will begin service by District Appointment as Lead Pastor in Monticello Community Wesleyan on April 19th. Appreciation goes to Lisa (Lee) Graden (Lead Pastor of Crystal) for serving double-duty with Monticello during these months of transition.
- Jason (Marla) Vienneau received a unanimous recommendation from the Corbett LBA for a congregational vote on March 29th to offer an Extended Call.
- Kings Church Marriage Conference (March 27 & 28)
- World Hope International Gala (April 7)
- Too many leaders practice reactionship in crisis, not leadership. Your job isn’t just to react to what’s happening, it’s to lead people in light of what’s happening. (Carey Nieuwhof)
- We cannot afford to live as if Jesus is not Lord. He is the only One worthy of our fear and our trust. (Brent Ingersoll)
- The supernatural response of early Christians [to the Cyprian Plague] was faith (instead of fear), service (instead of isolation), and peace (instead of anxiety). (Jon Wiest in March 12th Journal Entry)
Click HERE to enjoy an excellent word of perspective and anticipation from our General Superintendent. Additional links are available in this article to subscribe for up-to-date information on General Conference 2020 – Unleashed which will convene in St. Louis on May 31-June 3.
Join hundreds of men from all across the region at Valley location of Kings on May 1-2 as we seek to find, define, and empower the Y God has placed in each of us. In doing so, may we know life to the full and may those around us reap the benefits of knowing men who truly embrace our Y. Register HERE – Cost: $85.
The national office of The Wesleyan Church of Canada is pleased to provide access to some helpful documents for the pastors in our Canadian churches. Included in those documents are:
- Overview of the Retirement Plan Life insurance and Long-term disability benefits
- Information for the Wesleyan Retirement Plan
- New form for allocating contributions to a Tax Free Savings Account
- Prayer Poster for our Canadian Missionaries (current as of Dec. 31, 2019). Full size posters are available from: Stephen@wesleyan.ca
- Poster promoting the need/opportunities for Church Planting in Canada. Full size poster are available from: Stephen@wesleyan.ca
- Direct Deposit form for the financial support of our Canadian Global Partners missionaries (accelerates donor process by at least 50%)
- 2020 options/contact info for the National Cell Phone Plan (Bell Aliant)
Click here for the 45-minute video 2025 presentation