Our week began with a call by the DBA for a Day of Prayer & Fasting across the Atlantic District. More than 50 intercessors joined together on Zoom over lunch on Monday to seek the heart of God for these unusual days. Thanks to all who joined in (both by Zoom and in other ways and times) to unleash and unlock the presence and will of God in our church families and communities across the Atlantic region. #spiritualfoundations
COVID-19 innovative responses abound. Last night @ 6:00 p.m. Tim Guptill (The Lighthouse) was invited to share from The Word on CHCO TV (UHF Channel 26). This was broadcast as a community service especially with those in mind who do not have internet access, including some of the seniors of The Lighthouse church family. The Lighthouse Facebook Live service yesterday morning has had nearly 800 views already. There is a possibility this UHF broadcast may be an ongoing opportunity and can be viewed across New Brunswick @ 6:00 p.m. Sundays on Fibe – 26, Cable -126, or Bell-TV Satellite – 539. Tune in this Sunday and spread the news!
- Journey (Matt Maxwell) is offering online devotional thoughts for their church family. On Saturday, Next Generations Pastor Luke Budreau shared this excellent word from Psalm 23. Take a moment to enjoy this timely reminder. I am so proud of how our pastors and young leaders are stepping up and stepping out.
- Blacks Harbour (Dr. HC) staff are making house calls. Well, sort of. Drive by pastoral visits involve pulling into the front of a home and calling those inside. They wave through the window and share words of encouragement concluding with prayer. Assistant Pastor Mark McCluskey shared, “It certainly isn’t technically innovative but it is contextually effective.”
Executive Director Tami Mutch-Ketch and District Clergy Care Director Dr. Allen Lee(Kingswood University) conducted a Zoom orientation for a team of lay intercessors. This Lay Prayer Task Force is directed by Tami and will be making contact over the coming weeks and months with our pastoral families to offer encouragement and prayer as they serve and lead on the front lines of ministry. Atlantic Ministers are encouraged to recommend additional intercessors for this team as directed in an email received this week. #strongertogether
HQ RESOURCES: We are grateful for the excellent and growing online hub of COVID-19 resources provided by The Wesleyan Church HERE which includes links such as our CMAD Division with specific direction for NextGen ministry innovation such as the NextGen Facebook Group for Wesleyan Youth Pastors/Leaders.
There are also many ongoing opportunities provided by a variety of parachurch organizations such as the two posted above. The one on the left from The Unstuck Group (Tony Morgan) is a free webinar on Thursday @ 1:00 p.m. Eastern addressing how to navigate the financial questions emerging for local church leaders – to register click HERE. Tony Morgan’s team also provided timely insight last week in this webinar entitled, “Re-Imagine Easter Gathering” – Click HERE to watch this with your leaders.
On the right above, Auxano offers a free webinar every weekday @ 11:00 a.m. Eastern to address a variety of questions we are all facing in the local church. Preregistration is not required and the daily links are provided online HERE.
The “Crisis Toolkit for Churches” comes as a joint effort of Carey Nieuwhof and David Kinnaman (President of Barna Group).
Ed Stetzer and Daniel Yang provided this insightful webinar last week entitled, “COVID-19 Church Survey Summary Report: How Church Leaders are Responding to the Challenges of COVID-19” in partnership with Exponential and other organizations.
GOVERNMENT FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE: The following links may provide information regarding financial assistance for eligible local churches in Atlantic Canada and in Maine (this webinar is offered TODAY at 12:30 p.m. Eastern).
ADDITIONAL RESOURCES: There are a myriad of resources surfacing online as we steward our response. In the interest of serving your leadership, this COVID-19 Ministry Resources PDF may be downloaded for your exploration as you seek the best way forward in leading your church family.
- The church shines brightest when the world is darkest! (Jason Berry)
- Control the volume. Balance fear-inducing content with faith-inducing content. (AJ Plaizier)
- Don’t deny or obey your feelings – pray your feelings. (Joel Gorveatte)
The national office of The Wesleyan Church of Canada is pleased to provide access to some helpful documents for the pastors in our Canadian churches. Included in those documents are:
- Overview of the Retirement Plan Life insurance and Long-term disability benefits
- Information for the Wesleyan Retirement Plan
- New form for allocating contributions to a Tax Free Savings Account
- Prayer Poster for our Canadian Missionaries (current as of Dec. 31, 2019). Full size posters are available from: Stephen@wesleyan.ca
- Poster promoting the need/opportunities for Church Planting in Canada. Full size poster are available from: Stephen@wesleyan.ca
- Direct Deposit form for the financial support of our Canadian Global Partners missionaries (accelerates donor process by at least 50%)
- 2020 options/contact info for the National Cell Phone Plan (Bell Aliant)
Click here for the 45-minute video 2025 presentation