Beulah Camp 2016 – July 3-10 with Drs David Smith and Lenny Luchetti – will be great days – make plans – more detail to follow.
- AJ Plaizier resigned at Fredericton Corbett Ave yesterday and will be candidating soon at Yarmouth. I met with the LBA at Corbett on Thursday evening and will be working with them soon in the pastoral search and selection process.
- Ben Canney has been serving effectively and with passion as Assistant Director of Caton’s Island for the past couple of years. He has been offered and has accepted the position of Executive Director of Camp Tulakadik at Cassidy Lake, NB (near Norton). Camp T is a ministry of the Atlantic Convention of Baptist Churches. We wish Ben well and will truly miss him at Caton’s.
- Sharon Lewis, wife of Pastor Scott Lewis, was involved in an automobile accident last week. She was hospitalized overnight and they would welcome an interest in your prayers as God brings them to mind.
- President Steve Lennox was speaking in Yarmouth over the weekend. His teaching/preaching is receiving very positive affirmation – great to have Dr Lennox and Eileen in the tribe.
- Halifax Deep Water held a Friday night Coffeehouse and raised $2100 to help send Haitian youth to vocational school. They had a missions team in Haiti recently.
- Gloria and I worshipped in Moncton yesterday and one of the highlights of the service was a prayer of consecration offered over a mission team of circa 15 people headed to Haiti soon.
- I will be in Atlanta most of this week for the annual DS Institute being held this week at 12Stone. We will also be meeting for one meal with the large church pastors group (500+ in attendance) and Atlantic has 3 churches in that group.
Peter was in Newfoundland over the weekend with a focus on the Upon This Rock church planting initiative. He also led the Solid Rock LBA in a very positive review and renewal of Pastor Stuart Marples extended call. He also enjoyed a men’s breakfast and preached in the AM service.
As many/most of you know, Nick Graham’s first liver transplant did not work out well and he was placed back on the waiting list recently. Last week, he got the call that a liver was available and he underwent surgery mid week. He has done well thus far and is back on the floor after a shorter time in the ICU than was predicted. One of the unusual events in all of this was the doctor coming into Nick’s room the morning of the surgery and asking Nick to pray for him. Very cool. Obviously, Nick is letting his light shine – well done.
I was on Grand Manan last week for another meeting of our Task Force on Merger. All members were present as we processed next steps. I will be back in early February for a combined meeting of the members of all three churches as formal approval in principle of the proposed merger is considered. There is a positive air of expectancy in the air. Onward and upward.
Last week Sergiy gathered all of the girls from HH1 and HH2 together to read them the Christmas story with a special emphasis on the three wise men. He elaborated on many aspects as it relates to them ie…coming from afar, bearing gifts etc. After building on the commitment and sacrifice etc. he concluded with a surprise statement….”they are here today”! Whereupon THREE of the faithful supporters and helpers with world Hope Canada came upon the scene. Daryll MacKenzie from Woodstock Wesleyan together with Greg Finnamore and his father Dennis from Hartland Wesleyan.
A video clip is available on face book that captures the essence of the excitement that followed.
THOT: “Stories of imagination tend to upset those without one.” – Terry Pratchett
ON SECOND THOT: “Like a good parent can’t also be his child’s best friend, a leader with authority requires some separation from subordinates.” – @simonsinek
Kingswood tour of Israel in May 10 – 18, 2016. Cost is between $3,500 – 3,800 U.S. depending on how many people go (the more that go, the less expensive the trip). This is truly a once in a life-time opportunity to see and experience first-hand the sights and sounds of the Holy Land, and to walk where Jesus walked. Such an enriching experience. More information can be found on the website.
Pastors and church members are invited to attend “Mission & the Local Church,” a conference with missiologist Chris Wright. The simulcast event of the Evangelical Missiological Society of Canada will be held February 12 at Kingswood University from 9 to 4:30 pm in Wesley Hall. The cost is $20. Lunch is included. For more information, call Eileen Gavel at 506-432-4429 or see https://www.emsweb.org/regions/canada.