Maximizing Impact (MI) visit number eight was held at Halifax Metro over the weekend. There was excellent participation from the church with more than 50% of their Sunday AM average present for the group sessions. Their self-study was well done, the interviews went very well and the report was well received. Their move to the Cineplex Theatre offers new potential for forward movement. Thanks to A J Plaizier, Jay Guptill and Steve Elliott who served on our MI team. Thanks also to Pastor Kevin Wilson and his crew for their preparation, participation and positive attitude.
- Peter met with the Truro LBA last week to review Pastor Ken Banks’ extended call. The call was unanimously renewed.
- I met with the Cornerstone LBA on Saturday to review Pastor Denn Guptill’s extended call. His call was also unanimously renewed.
- Michael Fearnley, Student Ministries Pastor at Dartmouth Hillside, resigned yesterday.
- It’s Monday Again continues to enjoy favour with our growing family of readers. The last two weeks have both seen record numbers of opens.
- During the week, I also met with the LBA’s at Deep Water and Westchester. Always great to interface with local leaders.
- Mark Brewer preached at Maple Ridge yesterday and Mike Agrell reported, “he knocked it out of the park.”
- Peter recently completed four Discipleship Ideation workshops as a follow-up to a presentation at our fall District Ministerial. About 1/2 of our churches attended this optional training for the DI assignment that is due by May 1st. Sessions were held at Grand Manan, Houlton, Hammonds Plains and Sussex.
- Marc Jolicoeur is the new worship leader at Moncton. Welcome Marc!
Hats off to Greg Hanson and the KV team for this first week of welcoming the Syrian refugee family they have sponsored. Peter was present for this meeting last week. Speaking of refugees, see the World Hope note that follows.
Refugee Sponsorship Update:
WHC has had a number of opportunities to speak with pastors, churches and community groups about refugee sponsorship. We currently are working with two active sponsorship groups and another several who are working through the decision of whether sponsorship is right for them at this time. We are very excited that one of our groups has just been assigned their first family and expect to be welcoming them in late February or early March.
This has been a great way to expand visions, build community and experience the Gospel in action. With our Wesleyan history firmly rooted in freeing the oppressed, it is exciting for World Hope Canada to partner with churches to assist refugees get resettled in Canada.
Please let us know if there is any way we can help you explore the possibility of your church or group joining in the fight to alleviate suffering.
David Drury, Chief of Staff in the General Superintendents office, was at Kingswood last week to speak at Infuse. He also shared with several of our leaders at a session in the Sussex church. Great to have Dave on the district.
THOT: “Leadership is the capacity to translate vision into reality.” – Warren Bennis
ON SECOND THOT: “Failing organizations are usually over-managed and under-led.” – Warren Bennis
Kingswood University will be livestreaming the Acadia Divinity College 2016 Simpson Lectures on February 8-10 from 7-9 pm in Stairs Hall, room 202. Keynote Speaker Dr. Anna Robbins, who is Associate Professor of Theology, Culture and Ethics, Director of Doctoral Studies, and Academic Dean at ADC, will speak on the following topics:
- We are Babylon: Dispelling the Myths of Exile (Monday, Feb. 8)
- We are Babylon: Dispelling the Myths of Hospitality (Tuesday, Feb. 9)
- We are Babylon: Dispelling the Myths of Security (Wednesday, Feb. 10)
KU site facilitator is Dr. Kenneth Gavel, Associate VP for Graduate Studies and Division Chair of Biblical and Theological Studies. For more information, contact Eileen Gavel at 432-4429. There is no cost to attend the livestreaming.
Hillside Rally 2016 is just around the corner! We couldn’t be more excited for what is in store! Alive from KU will be doing the music, Dave Sylvain from Presque Isle Wesleyan will be the speaker for the weekend. Fun activities, fantastic workshops, and a great time await students at Hillside Rally. Pre-register for $30 (by Feb 12) or late registration $40 – available at (hillsidewesleyan.com/rally). See you there!
Pastors and church members are invited to attend “Mission & the Local Church,” a conference with missiologist Chris Wright. The simulcast event of the Evangelical Missiological Society of Canada will be held February 12 at Kingswood University from 9 to 4:30 pm in Wesley Hall. The cost is $20. Lunch is included. For more information, call Eileen Gavel at 506-432-4429 or see https://www.emsweb.org/regions/canada.