General Superintendent Emerita and Ambassador for The Wesleyan Church
Reverend Dr. Jo Anne Lyon is the recipient of the World Methodist Council’s 2016 World Methodist Peace Award. Dr. Lyon received the award on September 3 at the World Methodist Council Conference, Houston, Texas.
Since 1977, the Peace Award has been the Council’s premier honour and is awarded annually to people who have displayed courage, creativity, and consistency in pursuing peace and equal rights for individuals throughout the world. Previous recipients include President Jimmy Carter, Nelson Mandela and others around the world. Congratulations to Dr. Lyon.
From Linda Lamos: “The Every Child Backpack Outreach, part of our MOVE Child Poverty Initiative at Kings Church was a blessing to see in action. Starting with 500 backpacks filled with school supplies and 150 boxes of clothing/shoes for the kids who attend Princess Elizabeth School in the North End of Saint John. On Thursday night Sept 8, during the school’s Open House, an amazing team of 90 volunteers set up and served the families by giving free haircuts, family photos, handing out 600 bags of popcorn, juice boxes, toothbrushes/toothpaste, ran carnival games, Bouncy Houses, and passed out 300 Roots backpacks with supplies. God’s love moved the hearts of families and school staff in a beautiful way. We had many teary-eyed conversations and know that this is only the beginning of a NEW STORY that God is writing over this school! Our next stop this Wednesday night is Saint John the Baptist School in the South End!”
They had a baptism at West Head over the weekend – in the ocean. A wave caught them and all were baptized not just the convert – go Pastor Doug!
- Brazil Lake had 83 present each of the last two Sundays with, in Pastor Kevin’s words, “lots of new faces and excitement. Praise God.” Last years average (LYA) was 60.
- Nackawic held an outdoor service last Sunday with 91 present and a baptism as well. LYA was 57.
- Fredericton Corbett Ave recently received a special offering for a new roof needed on the building. The offering was $35,000!
- The following announcement was shared yesterday at Sussex. “My name is Betty Weatherby and I am serving this year as vice-chair of your board of administration. As most of you are aware, this past year has been a very difficult one for our pastor Don and his wife Janet. We greatly appreciate their love for the people of Sussex Wesleyan and the way Don has ministered to us while dealing with the loss of his daughter, Lindsay, and with Janet’s ongoing health challenges. In recent days, however, pastor Don has recognized his need for some release time to heal. In consultation with our district superintendent and fully supportive of Don, the LBA has unanimously determined to grant him a compassionate leave starting immediately and continuing through November 20, 2016. He will return to the pulpit the first Sunday of Advent.”
- Gloria and I were at the Irving Memorial Chapel in Buctouche yesterday morning where it was my privilege to be the speaker of the day. We very much enjoyed sharing lunch with the Irvings and to see Mrs. Irving once again.
- Peter and I had lunch with Carl and Evelyn Brewer when they passed though Moncton last week. The continued rebirth of Shelburne Hope is inspiring – new members, baptisms; several property upgrades; debt pay down; increasing attendance and focused future plans.
- On Friday I attended a Memorial Service for Matthew Pass, the Kingswood student who passed away unexpectedly earlier this year. Matthew’s memorial can be viewed on the Kingswood YouTube channel.
Peter was at our church on PEI for the weekend where he led an LBA retreat. Thanks to Pastor Joel Wydysh and crew for hosting the weekend.
Moncton launched their fall season of Super Seniors last week. There were 74 present.
THOT: “Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without strategy.” – Norman Schwarzkopf
ON SECOND THOT: “People tend to regret what they didn’t do, as much or more than things they did.” – Dr. Henry Cloud
September 19th in Saint John & September 29th in Fredericton
Come and find out how your church can be a part of it!
We have an opportunity for the Christian Church in Canada to jointly invite people to explore Jesus’ story.
10 Day tour of the Holy Land with Pastor Tim and folks from Moncton Wesleyan
March 26- April 6, 2017
Cost is approximately 3800/person which includes air fare and land fare in Israel including some meals.
For more info contact Joyce Gildart at firstname.lastname@example.org