Our District Board of Administration (DBA) met in Moncton this past week for the express purpose of interviewing Assistant District Superintendent Peter Moore as a candidate for the District Superintendent position here on our district which, as you are all aware, is being vacated by me this summer as announced at District Conference in 2016. I am extremely pleased to formally announce that Rev. Peter Moore has been unanimously and enthusiastically selected by our DBA as the sole nominee for District Superintendent with election slated during District Conference in July.
In addition to him pastoring on the district when I served here as DS previously, I have had the privilege to work very closely and directly with Peter for eight years – five at Global Partners where he served as Director of Operations and three years here in our district as ADS. His nomination has my full and total support. His full resume will be posted on our district website so that you may know him even better. Onward and upward!
This past week I was in Florida for most of the week to attend the annual DS Institute which I have been pleased to attend many times across the years. This was my last such meeting in view of my conclusion of DS service this summer and it was great to be with my colleagues once again and to be a part of GS Wayne Schmidt’s first meeting as our leader. Incidentally, the first DS meeting that Gloria and I attended was in Gatlinburg, TN in 1981. I was the youngest DS present at that time………
The Caribe Royale Resort in Orlando which is pictured above was the location of our meetings last week and will be the location of The Gathering in January of 2019.
- Havelock, NS held their weekly service on Saturday evening in view of the storm headed their way for yesterday. In the service, Pastor Shawn received 5 new members including his own daughter – special time.
- Nick Graham resigned at Maple Ridge yesterday due, in large measure, to the recent very difficult word that he must undergo a third liver transplant. The church on the Ridge has been simply marvellous in their care and kindness toward the Graham family across these last two plus years as this physical battle was being waged. Mike Agrell has done an outstanding job as interim pastor and Nick and Beth have evidenced amazing grace during this time. Our prayers must continue to be with them as well as more tangible expressions of support. This resignation will be effective at the normal time of pastoral change in our district. Peter and I are scheduled to meet with their LBA one week from today as we seek to chart a path forward.
- Kings Church opened their new world class KC Kids Ministry wing on Saturday night – congrats.
- Presque Isle averaged 777 last month and their offerings topped $100,000 – their best month ever – onward and upward!
- I was privileged when in Florida last week to have dinner with David Medders. Good food – great conversation.
- Karrilee underwent a serious surgical procedure last Friday and plans to return to work later this week. Please remember her in prayer for a full and complete recovery
THOT: “Sometimes shepherds go where they themselves would never roam if they were not in pursuit of lost sheep.” – Charles Spurgeon
ON SECOND THOT: “Leadership is not about being in charge. It is about taking care of those in your charge.” – Simon Sinek
BONUS THOT: “Most disagreements in the church happen over the way things are done – not why they were done.” – Thom Rainer
Join Hugh Halter (author, speaker, church planter, consultant) for a full day of learning how to join in God’s mission to change Atlantic Canada, one neighbourhood at a time.
January 18, 2017
Highfield Baptist Church