On Wednesday this week, our District Director of Global Partners (Denn Guptill) hosted an affinity group of Atlantic District Missions Pastors/Leaders. This featured presentations by GP Assistant Director of Mobilization Jackie Fussner (who was accompanied by Olivia Ortmann – GO-Net & Short-term Teams Catalyst from Global Partners) and Matthew Friedman (Professor and Global Ministry Program Director at Kingswood University). Those present included representation from Cornerstone (Deborah Gilbert), Journey (Scott Wood), Kings (Greg Hanson & Rod Guptill), Hillside (Michael Zottarelli), Moncton (Nathan Adams), & Saint John First (Graham Perry). Thanks for a great day Denn!
Special thanks to so many in our Tribe who served at community Remembrance Day Services on Saturday. The prayer offered at Victoria Park in Moncton was Spirit-filled and openly evangelistic for the hundreds who gathered to remember. Ministry to our honoured veterans and opportunities like these to share Christ in a public forum are of high value in sowing Kingdom seeds. The service we attended included a “21 Dove Salute” as these symbols of peace were released to conclude the ceremony. My Great Uncle Norman Moore, gave his life in Italy during WWII and the freedoms we have in life and faith are only possible because of those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice.
- Celebrate Recovery (CR) is having tremendous transformational impact in at least four of our district churches. This 12-step ministry provides a hand up and out of freedom from the hurts, habits, and hang-ups which prevent us from experiencing the full and abundant life possible in Christ. In partnership with the Atlantic District, Deep Water’s CR Director Shaun MacKenzie is hosting a CR Forum on January 12-13, 2018. Registration is only $30 per church (unlimited attendees) with a deadline of December 15th. More details and a full schedule are provided below. Questions may be directed to Shaun at email@example.com.
- Linda Fillmore (Westchester) had an outstanding Saturday of community outreach through two services (Remembrance Day in the AM & Concert in the PM) with a total attendance of 102 and a Sunday service with 32!
- Don’t miss out on two great leadership development opportunities scheduled for THIS week. There is still time to register for the South Shore Leadership Network and the Believability Tour (Buckingham Leadership Institute – Kingswood University). Full details below – BOTH of these events are for lay people as well as pastors.
- Vince Robertson celebrated the 111th birthday of Head of Millstream yesterday. This community church continues to have a vibrant presence in a rural context as Pastors Vince & Karen have provided bi-vocational leadership entering their fifth year of ministry.
- For church administrators who manage participation in the Bell Aliant corporate phone plan, please be advised Account Manager, Nadine Barnett now has new contact information:
- The National Board of The Wesleyan Church of Canada convened through Zoom again this week as our the shared impact of our two districts comes into focus. Keep watching and praying as this exciting development continues!
- Tribal Huddles will soon gather before the end of November. I am praying for a meaningful time of interaction and shared learning with the pastoral teams from our local churches on the following dates. All huddles begin at 10:00 a.m. local time and include lunch.
November 21 (Tues) – Houlton Wesleyan
November 23 (Thurs) – Crosspoint (Fredericton)
November 24 (Fri) – Sussex Wesleyan
November 29 (Thurs) – Rodd Inn (Yarmouth)
November 30 (Fri) – Cornerstone (Hammonds Plains)
- Barry Vernon (Port Maitland) reports that their church family has prepared 80 boxes for their Christmas outreach through Operation Christmas Child.
- Andy Phillips (Jonesport Wesleyan) recently completed a major sanctuary renovation including a conversion from pews to chairs – looking good! Check out this interesting article on how chairs vs. pews allow for more seating without expanding the size of your sanctuary.
Thot: Yes, it’s true the devil doesn’t take a day off, but in his earthly ministry Jesus did! Who would you rather be like? (Joel Gorveatte)
Has your church been considering launching a Celebrate Recovery ministry? Please consider joining us for a two day forum hosted by Deep Water Church and our CR Ministry. See first hand how a CR night works, and on day 2 hear some of the nuts and bolts required to get you started.
Two day schedule (PDF)
Are you in? Register your church today for just $30. For further info please contact Shaun firstname.lastname@example.org or (902) 225-6849.
2nd Annual South Shore Leadership Network
Sessions for church and/or business leaders include presentations from Andrew Maves (Digby) Chad MacDonald (C2C) will to open and close the day with breakout sessions by John Symonds (West Head), Scott Muise (Yarmouth Vice-Chair), and AJ Plaizier (Yarmouth).
Date: November 18 (all day)
Location: Yarmouth Wesleyan
If you are a leader in the South Shore area, the following topics will invest in the development of your skills in team leadership:
- What does it mean to be a leader?
- Recruiting, building and sending your leaders
- Time management
- Decision making
- Vision casting
Awakening youth rally is geared towards both Junior/Senior High students and will occur on November 17-18 at Hillside’s Parkway Campus of Hillside. Check out awakeningrally.com for more info on speaker, band, and registration.