Charles and Ruby Bain received due honour during yesterday morning’s service in Havelock, NS. In early September Lead Pastor Shawn Craven underwent major surgery which resulted in the need for a short term medical leave of absence. During the past three months Charles Bain has filled the leadership role of Interim Lead Pastor (along with Assistant Pastor Tracy Marr). As an expression of gratitude and in recognition of exemplary leadership and long-term connection with the church family, Rev. Charles Bain was granted the lifetime title of Pastor Emeritus! Congratulations sir – you and Ruby embody Christ-like servant leadership in countless ways and the Atlantic District is better because of you.
The final two of five Tribal Huddles gathered this week at the Rodd Grand Hotel in Yarmouth (pictured above) and Cornerstone – Hammonds Plains (pictured below). There was 100% lead pastor participation of those not excused for bi-vocational or health reasons. Special thanks to Wayne Robertson, Mark Brewer, Don Ingersoll, Shawn Craven, and Denn Guptill for hosting these days of connection/ collaboration as energized conversations around church/leadership values are heating up our shared mission.
Each huddle featured a special presentation by David Tonen (pictured above) of Be Responsive Media. This digital marketing company specializes in working with nonprofits with particular passion in serving churches seeking to be more relevant and effective in community communication. Thank you, David Tonen and business partner Garth Holmes, for the Kingdom impact of your marketplace expertise and your clear mission to empower local church leadership.
- West Head (John Symonds) had 162 in attendance at the annual Fishermen’s Sunday on November 26th.
- I joined the Yarmouth staff at the Cape Forchu “apple core” Lighthouse at 6:00 a.m. this Tuesday with a large crowd of prayerful well-wishers as we watched the lobster fishing fleet exit the harbour on the NS South Shore Dumping Day. Proud to be from Atlantic Canada!
- My time in Yarmouth this week included opportunity to meet with the LBA, spend a few hours in leadership development with the Yarmouth Wesleyan team, and participate in the Pubnico Bible Study. Grateful for the excellent leadership of our Assistant District Superintendent AJ Plaizier.
- During the month of November there were 12 people baptized at Cornerstone (an adult, teen and ten children). Children’s Pastor Marilyn Mansvelt shares, “It was a highlight of my ministry to have done baptism classes with 11 of these individuals and to personally baptize nine of them!”
- On November 26 Mark Brewer challenged the Crosspoint family to raise $35K for one home in the Frederiction Mayor’s Task Force on Homelessness. He announced yesterday they had raised $70K in donations – enough for two houses. Way to go Crosspoint!
- It was an honour to serve as emcee for Chad MacDonald’s C2C Banquet at Pier 21 in Halifax on Wednesday night with 265 in attendance. This powerful night of celebration highlighted the partnership of C2C for Kingdom multiplication in unity with many denominations and churches in Atlantic Canada. The keynote from Canadian C2C Director, Mark Burch, was both sobering and inspiring as the challenge ahead to reach our great country has never been greater. This night included a highlight report from Seth Fancy (Kings Halifax) celebrating the birth of this new campus and the birth of their (Leanne) son Jack just 15 days after launch Sunday!
Advent Thot: Who can add to Christmas? The perfect motive is that God so loved the world. The perfect gift is that He gave His only Son. The only requirement is to believe in Him. The reward of faith is that you shall have everlasting life. (Corrie Ten Boom)
2017 Gift Catalogue
The World Hope Canada Christmas Catalog is now available online. To receive a printed copy by mail, please call Tori at 613.482.1499.
Has your church been considering launching a Celebrate Recovery ministry? Please consider joining us for a two day forum hosted by Deep Water Church and our CR Ministry. See first hand how a CR night works, and on day 2 hear some of the nuts and bolts required to get you started.
Two day schedule (PDF)
Are you in? Register your church today for just $30. For further info please contact Shaun email@example.com or (902) 225-6849.
Who: Ken Banks (Connection – Truro) will facilitate this day of dialog and shared learning
Where: Edgett Boardroom at District Office
When: Monday, January 15th, 10:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
Cost: Free (lunch included for those who preregister on or before January 10th
Zoom: If you can’t get to Moncton, we would still love to have you involved as a virtual participant through Zoom
Registration: Email Ken Banks (firstname.lastname@example.org) to indicate if you will be in Moncton or join us online
What: A word from Ken Banks…
We will be discussing potential solutions to move your church from maintenance or survival mode. This is intended as a time for all of us to talk about struggles, barriers, opportunities, ideas and to pray – a ‘let’s figure this out together’ opportunity. I encourage you to make plans to join me as we lean into the Tribe to see God-honouring things happen in 2018!