More than 70 were present at Hope in Shelburne this past Saturday evening for an appreciation service in honour of Pastors Carl and Evelyn Brewer. They are retiring (again) and are concluding their service at Hope. The church was closed when they went there 2 1/2 years ago. They are now running 60+, have completed several badly needed facility upgrades and have another baptism scheduled in just a few weeks. The Atlantic District is incredibly blessed by the ongoing influence and impact of our “retired” ministers.
Attitude is a difference maker. The Brewers model this with excellence. So do our Beulah Camp Caretaker, Bruce Cheney, and our Caton’s Island Director, Dean Stephenson. The historic flooding on the St. John River this month has resulted in serious setbacks with the seasonal preparation for Beulah and Caton’s Island. Both of these Kingdom leaders are to be commended for their can-do attitude of perseverance and optimism during these challenging days. Special thanks to all those who have given above and beyond gifts of time, influence, and resources to serve the work entrusted to Bruce and Dean. There is no better year to consider joining those who will gather this Saturday for the annual Beulah Clean Up Day (see in Upcoming Events below).
- Earlier this month, Havelock, NB (Glen McVicar) held a Ladies’ Tea as part of Kids Club. Each child invited one special lady. There were 60 kids and ladies present as each gave their special guest a letter they had written and a rose they made from clay. It was a great evening and many positive comments were overheard as the evening concluded. The closing evening this past Tuesday posted a record attendance of 36 kids! This is inspiring when you understand that the Havelock K-5 school only has slightly more than 100 students.
- One of my meetings this week was invested with Duffy Smith in preparation for a special highlight at Beulah Family Camp. This workshop is open to lay leaders and pastors and ties in with one of the six district core values that will be presented. “Raising and Releasing High Capacity Kingdom Partners,” will unpack best practices to engage and empower lay leaders for the Lord’s work. Duffy has a lifetime of marketplace influence and is deeply passionate about helping pastors experience the joys and impact of unleashing the Kingdom force often overlooked or unharnessed in high capacity lay leadership. Make plans on Ordination day to stay for this 1.5 hour session on Friday, July 13th @ 1:30 p.m. in the Tabernacle.
- Jason Blaikie will be joining the pastoral staff at Presque Isle (Bud Fancy) in late August. He and Christine are concluding service as Global Partner’s Missionaries in Croatia and would like to thank the Atlantic District for your prayers and financial support. Please honour your funding partnership through the end of August.
- Ellen and I enjoyed worship yesterday morning at Browns Flat Fellowship (Steve Bradley) with a crowd of more than 130 including our three daughters and my mother.
- Executive Director Andrea Gunter chaired the Beulah Session of the Camp Board on Monday as preparations continue for Beulah Family Camp. A reminder to those who are participating in the services with presentations, special announcement slides, and other forms of media to email them to Joel Wydysh (firstname.lastname@example.org) on or before June 28th.
- Solid Rock (Stuart Marples) held their MadLab year-end picnic and movie night earlier this month with more than 20 children present plus parents, grandparents, and staff.
- As mission committees/pastors consider plans for the coming church year, the new initiative by Kingswood University designed to strengthen L’Eglise Wesleyenne d’Haiti is worthy of your consideration and support.
- The District Office will be closed for Victoria Day. I leave tomorrow to lead an Atlantic team serving the Wesleyan Standard Church of Egypt. Emergency local church and/or pastoral matters may be directed to our Assistant DS, AJ Plaizier (email@example.com, 902.774.1800) prior to my return to the office on Friday, June 1st.
Congratulations to Melanie & Isaac “Tree” Russell (New Hope) on the May 12th arrival of Lydia Jane (5lbs. 13 oz.).
Congratulations to Ryan Genereaux (Maple Ridge) & Marleigh Lee on their engagement this weekend.
Thot: Leaders don’t make people ‘wrong,’ they help them see their gifts in the new future. (Duffy Smith)
Caretaker Bruce Cheney (Beulah Camp) will be in need of an army of volunteers to assist in the annual Beulah Clean-up Day – Saturday, May 26th. Work starts at 8:00 a.m. and will conclude with a hearty dinner meal. If you have not yet had opportunity to be part of this well-organized day of service, there is no better year to start.
All new for 2018… Check out this summers lineup! Special events, breakfasts, dinners, movies, services and more. Every weekend a great lineup for the whole family. Check out the schedule and don’t miss a minute of the fun!
January 9-12, 2019
Orlando, Florida at The Caribe Royale
More than a minister’s conference. The Gathering is a reunion of ministry family and friends. A sabbath for our souls. Coming together to stop, rest, pray, play and thrive. A chance to celebrate what God is doing in our lives and ministry through meals, stories, inspiration and worship. We know this will be a gathering you won’t want to miss!
Wesleyan clergy & spouses are invited to register this summer. Registration opens June 1, 2018.