World Hope International Canada (WHI CA) Board of Directors met this past Thursday and Friday in Ottawa. Executive Director Rev. Tanya Nace is leading with inspiring effectiveness in her first year of service. The board received detailed reports regarding realignment with WHI USA with an impressive level of synergy and timely access to expertise in marketing and communications (Sophie Savage), major donor strategies (Nancy Green), and anti-human trafficking endeavours (Hayley Clark).
Tanya has worked tirelessly since her January start and shared many highlights worthy of celebration including the baptism of three girls from Hope Hope in Ukraine and the weddings this year to wonderful Christian men of three others who have graduated from the program. First Steps Program is an excellent opportunity to ministry directly to street children in Odessa and is looking for 50 supporters committed to giving $50 per month.
World Hope Live (fall newsletter for WHI CA) is an excellent resource to understand the impact of the official relief and development arm of The Wesleyan Church of Canada. Take note in the Upcoming Events below of the opportunities this month to hear from WHI Founder and GS Emerita Dr. Jo Anne Lyon in person as she and Tanya Nace travel in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia.
- More than 90 gathered yesterday morning at Trinity for the Pastoral Installation of Joel Bridges. Joel & Kia and their family are enjoying the early days of connection and are being warmly welcomed in Carleton County.
- A good question often asked since the summer launch of our Exploration Essentials is, “Now what?” November 14-16 our DBA will be conducting a 48-hour retreat to explore the milestones and mountain tops which reflect the fulfillment of our shared mission through these values. This will begin a winter-long process of discerning the strategies and measures we need to inspire for the next season of Kingdom impact through the Atlantic District. As I shared in my DS Report this summer, the Vision Frame roadmap comes from the very helpful Kingdom contribution of Will Mancini.
- All pastors are invited to participate in one of two identical Exploration Essentials Zoom Workshops on Wednesday @ 9:30 a.m. on either October 17th or October 24th. Just email Karrilee to register and you will receive the Zoom link for your day. The results of this October dialog will inform the DBA retreat in November. This is optional but your input is most welcome!
- Bishop Cliff Fletcher (The Free Methodist Church in Canada) convened another Zoom meeting of denominational leaders including Wesleyans and Nazarenes across Canada. Plans are being explored for how we can better work together to serve in our shared mission.
- And speaking of stronger together, five South Shore NS churches coordinated a pulpit swap yesterday morning with Tim Long (Live Well Community) preaching in Brazil Lake, Shawn Craven (Havelock, NS) preaching in Port Maitland, Jason Parker (Woods Harbour) preaching in Havelock, NS, Barry Vernon (Port Maitland) preaching in Woods Harbour, and Kevin Myers (Brazil Lake) preaching at Tiddville (Live Well Community) and Tiverton Baptist. Kevin is pictured above on the Digby Neck with the first ministry road trip for their new youth band – Woven.
- The ministry team pictured above from Cornerstone (Denn Guptill) made and served Canadian Thanksgiving Dinner last Monday at the Ronald McDonald House at the IWK in Halifax.
- Bible League Canada (BLC) is offering a Church Leaders Forum in Moncton on Tuesday November the 6th featuring LD Buckingham, Rob Nylen, & Paul Richardson (see details in Upcoming Events). BLC has a helpful tool for local church leaders to take a spiritual “pulse” using an Online Diagnostic Survey as part of a strategy for the planting of healthy churches.
- Believability Tour is only 4 weeks away (Nov 1 – Yarmouth, Nov 2 – Halifax). The price is right. The passion is high. Your people will soar. Who should come? Local church influencers. No one should come alone. Think board members, senior leadership, high capacity lay leaders, staff, and next generation leaders you want to develop. The uniqueness of this event is that it is very affordable and designed for lay people/volunteers to come to an inspiring and practical training day. The effectiveness within each church will be based on the number of people that accompany their Pastor so that they together strive to break barriers. This Believability Spotlight from Keynote Speaker AJ Thomas can be shown as an excellent recruitment tool with your leaders. More details below including downloadable promo posters for the day you plan to attend.
Our thoughts and prayers are with Pastors Vince & Karen Robertson (West Head) and their family on the passing of her mother, Norma Cook, this weekend. The celebration of her life will occur later this week at Brenan’s Funeral Home in Saint John.
THOT: Cynicism keeps you from crushing disappointment, but it paralyzes you from doing anything. (Paul Miller)
On Second THOT: Cynicism, merely critiques. It is passive, cocooning itself from the passions of the great cosmic battle we are engaged. It is without hope. (Paul Miller)
Bonus THOT: A praying life is the opposite of a cynical spirit. It engages evil. It doesn’t take no for an answer. The psalmist was in God’s face, hoping, dreaming, asking. Prayer is feisty. (Paul Miller)
Dr. Jo Anne Lyon visits the Atlantic District!
World Hope International (Canada) and Dr. Jo Anne Lyon are excited to tour around the Maritimes October 21-28! Dr. Jo Anne Lyon, General Superintendent Emerita of The Wesleyan Church will be speaking at the following events/churches and all are welcome to join:
Oct 21: Moncton Wesleyan Church, 10:30am (Speaking on Women in Leadership)
Oct 23: Kingswood University Chapel, 9:30am
Oct 24: Kingswood University PULSE, 9:30am. This is an educational event for students but local pastors and church staff are welcome to sit in! Please RSVP to ColeRooney@WorldHope.org to ensure seating. Dr. Lyon will be speaking on Kingdom Leadership: Jesus and Paul both practice a Leadership model that embodies men and women working together in equality. This is the full reflection of God and the Kingdom. Principles, attitudes and historical perspective will be explored all through the lens of Scripture
Oct 27 (morning): South Shore Ministerial, Yarmouth Wesleyan Church. This event is for pastors and missions teams. More information to follow soon!
Oct 28: Yarmouth Wesleyan Church, 9:30am & 11am
YARMOUTH WESLEYAN CHURCH
Thursday, November 1st, 9:30-4:30
Keynote Speakers Including : AJ Thomas, Kevin Vincent, Brent Ingersoll, Mike Miller & L.D. Buckingham
THE ROCK CHURCH HALIFAX
Friday, November 2nd, 9:30-4:30
Keynote Speakers: Jerry Reddy, James Mallon, AJ Thomas, Kevin Vincent & L.D. Buckingham
For more information and to register please visit the BLI website.
Encounter, a dynamic youth event, is happening this November 2-3. It is designed to engage you in worship, through music and the Word, and to challenge you to explore the call God has placed on your life. It also introduces you to Kingswood University, to see if this may be the place God is leading you to train for ministry.
It is for students in grades eight through twelve. The early-bird registration fee is $60 CAD per person (including HST).
Registration deadline without penalty is October 19th, 2018.
For more information and to register visit the Kingswood University website.
November 9 – Moncton
November 10 – Halifax
WHAT IS BASE CAMP?
The Ascent Base Camp is a one-day immersion in the vision, values, tools and training that are required for the church planting venture. You will learn from seasoned church planters and get input from church planting strategists who will help you discern if this “climb” is one you should attempt.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
• Senior leaders who bring along younger leaders they are working with.
• Young leaders who may not yet know how God has gifted and called them.
• Anyone who is curious about the calling and challenges of church planting.
• Students who are discerning God’s call for future ministry.
• Those considering a call to ministry, regardless of the specific field, or path.
WHY ATTEND A BASE CAMP?
Like climbing a mountain peak, church planting requires much preparation and skill. The vistas from the peak are not reached without strict training, Spirit-dependency, and much prayer. Many hazards line the path up the mountain. As you consider the call God may be placing on your life – and specifically the potential of planting a church – wisdom would advise that you gain insight from those who have gone before.
Base Camp is just one step along the journey, but as you consider God’s call, it may be that Base Camp will clarify and strengthen your call and your resolve.
• Early Bird Rate – $20 per person
• One Week Prior – $25 per person
For more information and to register: www.ascentbasecamp.com
January 9-12, 2019
Orlando, Florida at The Caribe Royale
More than a minister’s conference. The Gathering is a reunion of ministry family and friends. A sabbath for our souls. Coming together to stop, rest, pray, play and thrive. A chance to celebrate what God is doing in our lives and ministry through meals, stories, inspiration and worship. We know this will be a gathering you won’t want to miss!