Lead Pastor Joanne Ozon (Hope) preached from a wheelchair yesterday morning. Her left leg is still paralyzed from the nerve damage resulting from a spinal infection. Her husband Mike (she affectionately calls “The Pastor’s Wife”) shared, “She continues to go for physio and we are claiming a healing in her body. She preached a powerful sermon [yesterday] morning. Thank you for your continued prayers.” And best of all – someone accepted Christ as Saviour at the end of the message! #contextualeffectiveness
It was an energizing time of worship at Kings Halifax yesterday morning as Seth Fancy preached solid wisdom on the Love Handles for Marriage Conflict. Senior Pastor Brent Ingersoll (Kings) celebrates most weekends in Halifax this winter have exceeded 200 in attendance with total attendance for all locations (Valley, Seaside, & Halifax) approaching 2000 on high days. Thankful for the passion for Kingdom multiplication these leaders model.
Rick Hiemstra (Director of Research & Media Relations at the Evangelical Fellowship of Canada) gives the following important update on a new Kingdom resource:
You may have heard of a new Canadian ministry database called WayBase. It’s launching in the next few months but the beta website is already live. It’s a tool to help pastors and ministry leaders connect and work with others in their areas. They’ve made profiles for all churches and ministries (at least the ones they could find).
All the Wesleyan congregations should be on it. Churches need to “claim” their profiles and take responsibility for the information that exists there (if for no other reason, so no one else does). Claiming the profile is free. Churches can do this at www.waybase.com.
- Click “Login” or “Create Account” near the top right of the screen.
- Search for your organizations by typing it in the search bar.
- Locate your organization name and click on it.
- On your organization’s listing page, scroll down and click on “Claim this listing” on the bottom left.
- Confirm that you want to claim your organization’s listing by clicking “Claim Listing”
- Follow instructions for updating and customizing your listing.
I think it would be a good idea for all Wesleyan churches to do this right away. There are going to be some good tools here for denominations as well.
It was an honour this Friday to serve as Chair for the Kingswood University Board of Trustees which convened by Zoom for the first-time (some of the 23 members were displayed on the second screen not shown). President Lennox received an excellent evaluation and has accepted a four-year term which was offered unanimously by the BOT. In addition, Rev. Moe Diggs was elected as Vice-Chair. And speaking of Moe – he’ll be back as one of the Evangelists at Beulah Family Camp this summer (July 5-14)!
A special word of appreciation to those serving the Central DBMD which convened this Wednesday at Kingswood University to conduct 24 prophet-in-process interviews. The following day the DBMD Executive conducted two ordination interviews. #raisingleaders
Deep Water (AJ Thomas)101 Class was offered this Saturday. It is a one day event that dives into the theology, history, and ministry of the church. It includes a review of the Wesleyan 22 Articles of Religion to show unity with the big “C” church mission through the unique distinctives of Wesleyan tradition. Through this event many at Deep Water become committed to Wesleyan membership, and take new steps of faith into serving or outreach. #spiritualfoundations #strongertogether
Unprecedented need caused by what has been described as “the historically worst cyclone to have hit Mozambique” prompts General Superintendent Wayne Schmidt to activate the Wesleyan Emergency Relief Fund. This article provides more information for how to respond to serve our brothers and sisters in Mozambique. #globalcollective
ATTENTION LEAD PASTORS: Be watching this week for an email with details regarding year end (April 30th) expectations and directions to complete the local church multiplication assessment introduced at the six DS Zone Dialogs. Thanks in advance for honouring the deadlines on all items.
- River Valley (Dave McElhinney) voted unanimously yesterday and Shawna Rogers has accepted an initial call as Lead Pastor commencing Easter Monday. Dave & Carolyn will conclude 31 years of ministry as the founding pastoral couple of this church family and have been gifted a sabbatical following Easter through Thanksgiving.
- Congratulations to Rick (Marcia) Kavanaugh on his staff appointment announced this weekend at Presque Isle (Bud Fancy) as Pastor of Leadership & Spiritual Formation. Welcome home to the Kavanaughs as they join Bud’s team at the usual time of transition this summer!
- Last Monday evening, New Hope’s LBA unanimously renewed the extended call of Lead Pastor Scott Prime. Earlier that day, I enjoyed time with the full staff sharing in leadership development.
- Doing church is being re-imagined, but following Jesus isn’t. (John Lamos)
- Conflict in your marriage is not the enemy – not dealing with it is! (Seth Fancy)
- Your wounds tend to be your greatest strengths in the end. (Brent Ingersoll)
Condolences on behalf of the Atlantic District are offered to the family of Dr. Robert W. McIntyre, General Superintendent of The Wesleyan Church from 1973 to 1988, who reached his heavenly home on March 20, 2019, at the age of 96. More details are available is this article honouring his life and ministry in our Wesleyan tribe.
40 Days of Prayer for Kingswood University (Mar 12 – Apr 21). Looking for a great idea for your church this Easter season? You can download this prayer and scripture guide for your personal or church Lenten emphasis.
Children’s Ministry Pastors and Lay Leaders: NEXT registration for Saturday, April 6th, in Halifax is now open @ http://cbacyf.ca/next. The first 100 participants to register through their Wesleyan Church using the code “NEXT2019” will receive a $20 scholarship discount from the Atlantic District.
Attention all parents, teens, and youth leaders/pastors! One Conference is back again this year May 31 – June 1. This is a great opportunity for students to go deeper in their faith and meet other youth from across the Maritimes.
Caton’s Island Director Dean Stephenson reports that summer camper registrations are already up over this time last year – don’t delay getting the word out to your students and parents/grandparents to make sure they can attend their preferred camp!
Riverside Camp Dates & Registration info is now available – Matt Maxwell (Journey) is the Evangelist for Family Camp (July 28-31).